Aug 13, 2009

Cellar Addition: Torzi Matthews

Red Wine and Olive Oil......they go to together when dining like no other combination in the world.


Imagine extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic, a small amount of balsamic vinegar, chopped basil, freshly ground pepper and a little rosemary. Pair that combination with your favorite bread, open a healthy bottle of Shiraz and indulge. If you are feeling a bit hedonistic, add some Boursin cheese to the mix.





When I received an email from the Wine Cellar of Wisconsin about an Ozzy wine steal, my interest was raised immediately. I did not know I was in for a boutique vintner from the Eden Valley, east of the Borossa Valley.



Torzi Matthews , a food and wine making partnership between Domenic Torzi and Tracy Matthews have passion and the firm conviction of appreciating the value of heritage tradition in the crafting of their wines and extra virgin olive oils.

I purchased two bottles of the 2007 Schist Rock Shiraz, and I was lucky to get it. There were only 1200 cases produced for the entire world. The inventory at the Wine Cellar sold out in 40 minutes.

A review I found describes this wine as:

Saturated red. Brisk, finely etched red berry and cherry skin aromas are underscored by dusty minerals and cracked pepper. Clean, mid weight red fruit flavors betray no rough edges or excess fat, picking up silky tannins with air. There's something pinot-like about this elegant wine, and the finish is distinctly racy and energetic, leaving sweet strawberry and smoky minerals behind.

The Wine Spectator gave it 92 points.

I will post my review when I get the courage to open a bottle with some extra virgin Olive Oil.

For additional reviews visit Cellar Tracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment